Timothy Reynold Death – The family of Timothy Reynolds has started a petition in an effort to have the original attorney who was supposed to be prosecuting his alleged killer brought back on the case. After a fight in the downtown area in July, a squeegee kid was accused of killing Reynolds, and Rita Wistoff-Ito was the first Assistant State’s Attorney in Baltimore City to be given the responsibility of prosecuting the case. Wistoff was reportedly removed from the case by Baltimore City State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby for providing court documents to the victim’s attorneys, according to Thiru Vignarajah, who represents the Reynolds family.
Rita was remove
“State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby told the court that Rita was removed because she shared with the victim’s lawyer a copy of a document that she had just filed with the court,” said Vignarajah. “Rita was removed because she shared with the victim’s lawyer a copy of a document that she had just filed with the court.” “But, under Maryland law, Rita was required to provide us this copy. A memo was subsequently distributed by the State’s Attorney’s Office that appeared to confirm the leak. Wistoff initially charged the 15-year-old defendant as an adult, and it was reportedly reported that he offered the defendant a plea deal that called for him to spend 60 years in prison.
The legal representation for the adolescent promptly turned down that proposal. After that, Mosby issued a statement in which she claimed that her office had neither authorized nor approved the offer. After a few days had passed, Mosby made the announcement that she and the defense council for the teen had come to an agreement to have the case transferred from the adult court to the juvenile justice system. However, a judge disagreed with that plan and issued a ruling that the juvenile suspect should be tried as an adult. Vignarajah stated that there is no one who is more knowledgeable about this case than Rita. “She worked with the detectives throughout the investigation; she presented the indictment to the grand jury; she built strong relationships with the witnesses; and she has sought the truth and fought for us at every step.”
There have been 829 signatures accumulated so far on the online petition to have Wistoff reinstated. When a spokesperson for the State’s Attorney’s Office was asked about the current situation with Wistoff, they responded by saying “we’re not going to discuss staffing related matters with the media.” The next hearing for this case is scheduled to take place on December 20 in the Baltimore City Circuit Court. It is not clear who will serve as the prosecutor in this case.
Photo credit: www.wmar2news.com
News from SNBC13.com