According to the authorities, the fire incident which make several resident to evacuate their homes, lot of electric power lines fell and traffic was at a standstill after Interstate 40 was shut down on Thursday evening as firefighters battled with a brush fire in Carnuel, New Mexico. According to the authorities, the Bernalillo County Fire Department Deputy Chief Zachary Lardy said that resident has been removed from their houses in some of the area, because the fire has covered about 60 acre, but there has no been any record of structure or houses that has been destroyed by the fire. According to abqjournal.com.
The authorities said the cause of the fire is not yet identify, but the incident is still under investigation. Deputy Chief Zachary Lardy said that the Bernalillo County Fire Department replied a little before 5:00 p.m., to what is called “a large outside fire” on the north side of Interstate 40 in Carnuel, and the flame was pushed to the opposite side of the freeway by wind. According to Deputy Chief Zachary Lardy, he said that the fire destroyed so many several telephones poles, and downing at least one shutting down traffic on Interstate 40. According to Chief Zachary Lardy, he said the residences that are situated just south of Interstate 40 in the Carnuel area, and evacuation and structures under the threat are “pretty isolated to that area.”
Read more top stories here: Alec Mulvihill, 29, 1 dead, 1 injured, New Orleans firefighters in Mandeville shooting
Chief Zachary Lardy stated that they are requesting that the resident and those around the area should evacuated and avoid the area to enable the firefighters do their work. According to Chief Zachary Lardy, the Forest Service dropped fire resistant west of the fire to prevent it from spreading so far over the crest and into the hill country. According to Lardy, the fire is mostly encapsulated on the south side, but less so on the north side, where the rocky landscape makes for just a tough firefight. According to the authorities, reported that due to the downed power line on Interstate 40, Chief Zachary Lardy said it will take multiple hours before they could determine when to reopen the freeway and surrounding roads to traffic.
Due to the smoke from the fire, the city of Albuquerque issued a health alert, stating that every residents to limit outdoor activity. Some of the Carnuel residents were able to watched the fire from a distance, some watched the fire from the back of their homes before it spread just below Interstate -40 and onto the other side of the freeway. The firefighter teams were seen suiting up to battle the blaze, while other team members sprayed down houses to protect some property and structure.
Photo credit: Adolphe Pierre-Louis/Albuquerque Journal
news from snbc13.com