On Saturday evening, a casino and hotel on the East Rand were evacuated due to a fire that looked to be caused by an electrical problem.
There were no injuries, and the fire was put out.
The fire broke out at Carnival City at 18:40 on Saturday, according to William Ntladi, a spokesperson for the City of Ekurhuleni emergency services.
What is the cause of Carnival city casino fire
When emergency responders got on the scene, he said, a section of the building was “well alight.”
“Brakpan and Benoni central fire stations, backed by Tsakane fire station, all responded swiftly to the scene. On arrival, offensive fire suppression was conducted, and flames were knocked down. Damping down was conducted and the scene was declared safe, “Ntladi explained.
Firefighters arrived with four fire engines and 24 employees, according to Ntladi.
“”On investigation, it was found that fibreglass material from outside [the] entrance [to the] atrium caught alight. [The fire is] suspected to have been caused by an electrical short circuit, “Added he.